The ladies in the Wednesday Shinfujin class made this video as a class project. They chose the subject, wrote the script and planned the filming. At the beginning, they were very nervous about making a video, but they did a great job. I’m very proud of them and their video. I hope you enjoy it, too, and will try making your own paper balloon!
Here’s a copy of the written instructions:
How to make an origami balloon
1. Start with a square piece of paper.
2. Fold the square to make a rectangle.
3. Fold the rectangle in half to make a square.
4. Place the square so that the folded edge is on the left and open edges are on the right and at the bottom.
5. Open each of the squares to make 2 triangles.
6. Fold both of the tips of one triangle up to that they go to the top.
7. Turn the paper over and do the same thing again.
8. Now you should have a diamond with 4 tips at the top.
9. Fold the right and left corners in so that they touch the center point of the diamond.
10. Turn the paper over and do the same thing again.
11. Each of the folded corners makes a triangle with a pocket on top.
12. Fold each of the top tips down and into the pocket like this.
13. This is a 2-step fold, to lock the edges of the balloon together.
14. Fold the tip first so that about ¾ is in the pocket. Crease the fold to make a sharp edge. Then fold the remaining edge and stick it inside.
15. This will make it so that your balloon stays together.
16. Do the same for each tip.
17. Blow into the open end of your balloon.
18. Now you have made a paper balloon.