My Corner of the World

For my students, and others interested in learning English

How to Make a Paper Balloon

| 7 Comments

The ladies in the Wednesday Shinfujin class made this video as a class project. They chose the subject, wrote the script and planned the filming. At the beginning, they were very nervous about making a video, but they did a great job. I’m very proud of them and their video. I hope you enjoy it, too, and will try making your own paper balloon!

Origami Balloon from Barbara Sakamoto on Vimeo.

Here’s a copy of the written instructions:

How to make an origami balloon

1. Start with a square piece of paper.

2. Fold the square to make a rectangle.

3. Fold the rectangle in half to make a square.

4. Place the square so that the folded edge is on the left and open edges are on the right and at the bottom.

5. Open each of the squares to make 2 triangles.

6. Fold both of the tips of one triangle up to that they go to the top.

7. Turn the paper over and do the same thing again.

8. Now you should have a diamond with 4 tips at the top.

9. Fold the right and left corners in so that they touch the center point of the diamond.

10. Turn the paper over and do the same thing again.

11. Each of the folded corners makes a triangle with a pocket on top.

12. Fold each of the top tips down and into the pocket like this.

13. This is a 2-step fold, to lock the edges of the balloon together.

14. Fold the tip first so that about ¾ is in the pocket. Crease the fold to make a sharp edge. Then fold the remaining edge and stick it inside.

15. This will make it so that your balloon stays together.

16. Do the same for each tip.

17. Blow into the open end of your balloon.

18. Now you have made a paper balloon.

Author: barbsaka

I teach English as Foreign Language to children, teens, and adults in Japan. I'm also a teacherr trainer and materials writer.

7 Comments

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention How to Make a Paper Balloon | My Corner of the World -- Topsy.com

2. Came across the post via @ShellTerrell on Twitter. Wow, please tell the ladies that they did a great job! Very interesting 🙂

3. I’ve always wanted to have a go at making something with origami. I might try this with my nephew 🙂
    Thanks for the instructions!

Nergiz

4. That takes quite a lot of courage to post a video on line in a foreign language. Very nice job.

As Nergiz indicated, there is actually an interest in origami in Turkey here too. Children sell them on the street sometimes.

5. @MissCheska: I’ll be sure to let them know. Hopefully, they’ll visit the blog over the holidays and see your compliment themselves (but if not, I’ll take it to class in January!)

@Nergiz: The balloons are a lot of fun, and pretty simple once you’ve done one. The trick is holding it lightly so that it can expand when you blow into the end. A strong “puff” works better than a steady “blow” (it took us a few takes to get the balloon to inflate on the first try for the video!)

@Nick Had no idea that origami is popular in Turkey! What a small world we sometimes live in. I’ll be sure to tell my students how brave you think they are–it took a bit of nudging to get them to try this, but I think they enjoyed it enough to make another video (I hope!)

6. Love this video!

This is such a lovely, fun activity for teaching instructions, and I’ll be adding it to my “box of tricks”.

Thanks for sharing, and pass my thanks on to the ladies in your class, also 🙂

7. Glad you liked it, Sue! I’ll pass on your kind words to my ladies 🙂